History of the School
Coole National school was built in 1956 to replace Gallow National School. The present hall in the church yard was where Gallow National School was located. Gallow National school had two rooms, initially one for boys and one for girls. In 1885 the classes were mixed. From April 1923 onwards the names were entered in the roll book in irish. At recreation times, the children played in the woods which then covered the area of the present graveyard and also in the site where the present school sits. There was a fireplace in each of the two rooms of Gallow N.S. and latrines at the back of the school served as toilet facilities.
Records in the National Archives suggest that Gallow N.S. was established around 1852 and that the school was taken under control of the National Education Board on 29th December 1854. Prior to the establishment of the school in the Church yard a was school located in Garadice, however precisely where nobody knows. Possibly it was in the house called “The Hall”, opposite O’Connor’s house at Garadice cross. The basis for this speculation is the fact that this building was the teacher’s residence in 1908 when Mrs Murrin came to teach in Gallow school.
The following is an extract from an Inspector’s Report of 8th November 1885 on Gallow N.S.